Orders of Protection
Need an Order of Protection in Illinois? Contact our legal experts to help you file in Illinois Civil court.
What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence is described as abusive behavior when a family or household member uses physical or mental maltreatment toward another family or household member. The IDVA uses the following terms as abuse:
1. Physical abuse
3. Intimidation of a dependent
4. Interference with personal liberty
5. Willful deprivation
What is an Order of Protection?
An Order of Protection is a court order made in writing which prohibits, by law, further abusive behavior.
Who are persons considered to be family or household members?
The IDVA defines members to include:
1. A spouse
3. Girlfriend/boyfriend who have or have had a dating or engagement relationship
7. Significant other/partner
8. Persons who share or allege to have a blood relationship through a child
9. Persons who live together or formerly lived together
10. Persons with disabilities and their personal assistants